The History of Berkshire Boys Camp

The Stable Years - 1957 through 1965

BBC Home Page

This information is from many sources, and has been checked for accuracy. We apologize right now for any inaccuracies and omissions.

To view information for a specific year, us the link below to jump directly to it.

1957
1958
1959
1960
1961
1962
1963
1964
1965


1957

  • Tuition was $300 for 8 weeks, $150 for 4 weeks, or $38 per week. Insurance (required) was an additional $0.75 per week.
  • Season opens on June 30 and ends August 24.
  • Visiting days were July 21 and August 11 from 2 to 5 PM.
  • March 31, 1957 - 5th Boston Area reunion, 2:30 to 5 PM in the gymnasium of the Arlington Boy's Club. Entertainment was Bob Munstedt, profrssional entertainer (musician, puppeteer, ventriloquist). Also featured, slides from camp and an audio tape of the farewell banquet.
  • Waterfront piers will be enhanced in the form of an "H" rather than the existing "L".
  • Massachusetts Turnpike is open for this camp season.
  • 1957 program includes: Red Cross instruction - swimiming and boating, Nature - physiology, botany, zoology, general science and geology at Basic, Advanced and Master levels, Pioneering (B, A, M), Exploring (B, A, M), Forestry (B, A, M), Meteorology (B, A, M), Dramatics - two courses, Riflery - NRA instruction, Archery, Athletics, Tomahawk Throwing.
  • Camp had a "Big Red" truck (heavy duty, and boy transport) and a "Little Red" pickup truck.
  • Other pre-season work includes: installation of freezer system, electrification of water system, remodelling dining hall.
  • The amphitheatre site on the hill above the waterfront is created. It was cleared the previous year by Cliff Benoit.
  • Visiting days are July 21, 1956 and August 11, 1956.
  • Early Bird campers go to West Point.
  • Lashed Pioneer Bridge created across Indian Creek to Pioneer Island.
  • Science Lab was half completed pre-camp.
  • All-Camp Trips were to Toland State Forest, Mount Greylock and Pittsfield State Forest.
  • Rick Mansfield is resident winter caretaker at the camp for the 1957-1958 winter.



    top
  • 1958

  • Tuition was $320 for 8 weeks, 160 for 4 weeks, or $40 per week. Insurance (required) was an additional $0.75 per week.
  • Camp season is from June 29 to August 23.
  • Visiting days were July 20 and August 10 from 2 to 5 PM.
  • Plans for 1958 include: Course in Indian Lore, Kitchen addition, chef's quarters infirmary improvements.
  • Andy Anderson will be the Camp Manager in 1958.
  • Sixth annual Boston area reunion will be planned for March.
  • A day at BBC: 7:25 awaken time, 7:29 bugle call, 7:30 assembly in fields, 5 minute workout followed by wash-up, 8:00 flag assembly, 8:05 breakfast, 9:00 cabin inspection, 9:05 Activities assembly, 11:15 general time (swimmingm riflery, etc.), 11:50 recall, 12:05 Lunch, 1:00 rest hour, 2:00 activities continue, 4:00 general time, 4:45 recall, 5:05 formal retreat, 5:15 supper, 6:00 unorganized activities, 7:00 organized activities, 8:00 major games, 9:00 first taps, and 9:15 second taps.



    top
  • 1959

  • There will be two trips to Howe's Caverns as Early Bird Trips. The first was on July 16, 1959 and the second one was on August 13, 1959.
  • Construction, beginning in April is to include a large kitchen stock room, a chef's dwelling, a new 16 by 16 cabin in section II, an 8 by 14 extension on the 24 by 14 office, an additional room on the cottage, and an improvement on the CQ.
  • New map is available. There are 28 buildings. It was done by Robert Mundstedt, artist.
  • The Seventh BBC Reunion will be Sunday, March 22, 1959 from 2:30 to 4:30 PM at Fidelity House in Arlington.
  • Events included: Exploring, Pioneering, Forestry, Astronomy, Biology, Geology, Aquatics, Riflery, Archery, and Athletics.
  • Campers in the Woodsman Cabin on 7/22/1959 were: Jimmy McClelland, Mitchell Cotton, kenny Breton, Peter Schulberger, Henry Klein, John Barry, Dave Glotfelty, and Kenny Mayer.
  • Forestry builds a log raft and name it the Vulcan.
  • Camp closes August 22, 1959. Kids were picked up between3 and 5 PM.



    top
  • 1960

  • Tuition was $350 for 8 weeks or $185 for 4 weeks. Insurance (required) was an additional $0.75 per week.
  • The Seventh BBC Reunion was held April 3, 1960 from 2:30 to 4:30 PM at Fidelity House in Arlington. It was informal.
  • Science programs focused on Biology (Zoology), Geology, and Astronomy.
  • Programs included: Forsetry, Science, Pioneering, Exploring, Swimming (ARC), Riflery (NRA), Archery, Athletics, Dramatics,
  • All boys lived in cabins except a group of 13-14 yesar olds.
  • Boys in the tent "cabin" wre: Dwight Cowles, Dan Engl, Bob Mercer, James Barry, Jerry Fowler, Sandy Murphy, and Ronnie Mayer.
  • This is the first mention of the annual 4th of July Boat Burning.
  • The Early Bird Trip was to Fox's Wild Animal Farm in Rensselear County, New York on July 16, 1960.
  • Pop stressed the use of terms: workers and leaders, not counselors, junior counselors, and counselors in training, and department heads not directors.
  • July 24, 1960 was visiting day from 2 to 5 PM.
  • Fluorescent lights have been added to the dining hall, kitchen and infirmary. They were donated by Frank Dennehy, grandfather of camper Keith, and installed by Walter Barry, father of camper John.
  • John Maxwell Ross (13) was set up as camp Poastmaster. He collected & distributed the mail.
  • Boys in the Roost Cabin on 8/3/1960 were: Arhur Mason, Brian Shepherd, Keith Dennehy, Manny Martins, Ed Campbell, Peter Waite, David Poland, and Barry Musi.
  • This season had 133 campers, 41 for 8 weeks, others were for four, five or six weeks. 4 campers left early.
  • End of camp was 8/20/1960 with pick ups from 3 to 5 PM.
  • Prior Early Bird trips have been to: Howes Caverns (twice). Westpoint, Catskill Game Farm, and Fox Animal Farm. All in New York.
  • Local wildlife included: Bear, Otter, Mink, Beaver, Rabbits, Bobcats, and Racoons.
  • Winter camp continues since the 1940's. Cost is $20 and will run from 12/27/60 to 12/30/60.
  • A record "The Songs of Ranger Randy" was provided to younger campers and those older campers with younger brothers. It was produced and donated by Charles Kaman, father of Billy. They are also available from Cobble Brook Records for $2.98.
  • 1000 Maps of Watson pond were distributed (1000).



    top
  • 1961

  • Tuition was $375 for 8 weeks or $195 for 4 weeks. Insurance (required) was an additional $0.75 per week.
  • Only visiting day was July 23 from 2 to 5 PM.
  • Camp season was from June 25 to August 19.
  • Dave and Clara Mansfield are in their third year as winter caretakers.
  • Early Bird trip will be to the Catskill Game Farm in New York.
  • New map is available of the camp.
  • BBC Reunion, Sunday, March 26, 1961 from 3 to 5 PM at the Arlington Boys Club.
  • The Tower at the front entrance to the camp was built in July, 1959. It will be used for Meteorology and as a Fire Lookout Tower. The plan called for it to be 12 feet on a side at the base, and 6 feet on a side at the top. Work began on June 30, 1961. The tower will be 47 feet high and have a small building in the base. The building will house the weather bureau and have two bunks. Two additiona lroom will house physics and biology.
  • Psychology added to Science offerings.
  • A boat was burned on the lake for the 4th of July.
  • Early Bird trip to the Catskill Game Farm on Wednesday, July 12, 1961.
  • Visiting Day, Sunday, July 23, 1961 from 2:30 to 5 PM
  • Dramatics productions in 1961 were: David and Goliath, Robin Hood Returns, Give me Liberty (7/4)
  • A replacement bridge to Pioneer Island was completed in July 1961. This replaces the one build a few years earlier.



    top
  • 1962

  • Physics to be added to Science division offerings.
  • Activities include: Science (Biology, Geology, Astronomy, Meteorology), Forestry, Pioneering, Exploring, all with Basic, Advanced and Masters ratings. Aquatics, Riflery, Archery, Athletics, Dramatics.
  • Early Bird trip was to Howe's Caverns in New York on July 18, 1962.
  • Visiting Day was Sunday, July 29, 1962, from 2 to 5 PM
  • Camp ends Saturday, August 25, 1962. Pickup is between 3 and 5 PM.



    top
  • 1963

  • Sunday, July 18, 1963 from 2 to 5 PM is Visiting Day.
  • Camper pick up is after 2:30 PM on Saturday, August 24, 1963.



    top
  • 1964

  • Zoology is being added to Science.
  • New electric dishwasher is being installed in the kitchen.
  • Harlan Miller is the camp bugler.
  • Camp closes by 5 PM on Saturday, August 22, 1964. Boys can be picked up after 2:30 PM.
  • May,June 1964 New cottage built.



    top
  • 1965

  • Billy Garrison is the camp bugler.
  • Visiting Day was Sunday, July 25, 1965 from 2 to 4:45 PM.
  • Weather station went on-line at the end of July.
  • A Forest Look-out tower was built 35 feet high in an Oak tree on Spruce Mountain.
  • Season ends at 5 PM on August 21. Boys may be picked up after 2:30 PM.
  • The Education Foundation is planned for 1966.
  • Tony's Tower progresses. At the end of this season, the second level has been fenced in.



    top


  • To go to a part of the camp's history, click on the link below to jump directly to it.

    1939 - 1948
    1949 - 1956
    1957 - 1965
    1966 - 1973

    Updated: 5/23/2004